Horizon Hosted Voice includes the option for call recording, but what do you need to be aware of? The recording and monitoring of telephone calls and call recording regulations are governed by a number of different pieces of UK legislation, as detailed by OFCOM. Q. Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me? A. No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are, you will need the consent of the person you are recording. Q. Can a business or other organisation record or monitor my phone calls with them? A. Yes they can, but only in a limited set of circumstances relevant for that business which have been defined by the Lawful Business Practice Regulations. The main ones are:
- to provide evidence of a business transaction
- to ensure that a business complies with regulatory procedures
- to see that quality standards or targets are being met
- in the interests of national security
- to secure the effective operation of the telecom system.